“It’s my dream to go to Batanes…”
I knew this line very well. I was once a dreamer too. But I didn’t stop on dreaming. I took actions to make that dream a reality. But how about you dear reader: How will you make that dream trip to Batanes? While others may use an unsecured loan, I would like to share how you can save up for your dream Batanes trip.
STEPS TO SAVE UP FOR YOUR BATANES TRIP:
1. First, you have to HAVE A GOAL. For a 6days, 5 nights trip to Batanes, you need at least Php 30,000 to cover for your airfare, food, and lodging. Some of you may raise an eyebrow. But think about it this way: Airfare is high (Php 18k roundtrip for a regular fare). Fuel prices are high resulting to expensive commodities. It’s a domino effect. The actual expenses may be lower than the target amount. But it’s better to aim higher.
2. SET-UP A TRAVEL FUND ACCOUNT. Set-up a dedicated bank account specifically for your travels. You have to discipline yourself to put money in that account. You may also use the auto-save up function of a bank like BPI. They have this auto-save up function, where your payroll account will transfer a certain amount of money to your travel fund account.
3. SET THE TIMEFRAME/ DETERMINE THE AMOUNT THAT YOU NEED TO SAVE UP: If you aim to go to Batanes April of 2014 and you started this June 2013, you have 10 months to achieve your target amount.
Formula: Target Amount / # of months to save= amount needed to save monthly
e.g. Php 30,000/10= Php 3,000 monthly
4. CUT DOWN on other not-so-important expenses. Now, how do you manage to deduct Php 3,000 from your monthly income? You might frown and say: I have so many bills to pay etc. and other excuses…But hey, remember, this is for your dream. So cut down on other expenses:
- Credit Card purchases
- Electricity use: Sleep with your lights turned off/ Set a timer for your air conditioner
- Php 150 frappe or coffee— instead of buying that favorite frappe, why not sacrifice on just 3-in-1 coffee and just add ice You’ll only have to spend around Php 10.00 instead of Php 150.00
- Prepare your own lunch instead of eating out
- Instead of taking a cab, wake up early and commute to work.